Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hunting from the couch

from the comfortable confines of my black-cushioned, white spray-painted ikea couch, i've begun to take a sniff at the job market for creatives here in lah-lah land. sniffing is as far as i can go at this point -- without my marriage license and thereby my dependent pass, i'm ineligible for any sort of legit job application.

the first ten minutes of my online puttering was quite a roller coaster. i started seeing words like "leverage" and "solutions" and was forcibly reminded of my days at the factory. besieged by the wealth of editorial jobs up for grabs on jobsdb, i went into a mini-panic and considered, for about two full minutes, a return to publishing.

this was totally a return to the old job-hunting me: unsure of what i wanted, but prone to worrying about getting a job and thus even more prone to accepting any job that would take me. when i realized it, the voice in my head did me a huge favor (for once) and said, in no uncertain terms, "NO."

digging deeper into the job forums, i started looking up all the graphic design openings even if i'm not a graphic designer. and what i found really, really excited me: a fistful of witty, irrevent, creative and independent design firms. i found websites that literally got my heart beating and the wheels in my head turning. i would totally customize portfolios for, and whore myself out to, some of the firms i came across this afternoon.

i was just telling marlon the other day that my heart belongs to/my career direction is television (i really don't watch television the way i did two years ago!), but working as a copywriter for a small design firm (even freelance) totally opened up as a possibility for me today!

don't you love how possibilities just give your butt a special tickle? heck, it's enough of a tickle to get me off this couch!

now, if you'll excuse me, i have three boxes of beloved books to unpack and big, downy-scented fluffy yellow towels to hang up and dry.

p.s. i've decided to blog about the wedding when i get the raw wedding photos from our photographer. which should be anytime in the next two or three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment