Sunday, June 8, 2008

In love again

i can't wipe the smile off my face.

after trolling the job sites for weeks and applying to either purely editorial roles or advertising positions, i found a job posting that just grabbed me. a job for a company that bridges multiple creative disciplines and fosters creative collaboration. a job that requires me to love design (which i do) without having to actually design anything (which i don't!), but just immerse myself in it and write well (which i do). a job that is just so me, and combines the worlds of ideas, design and writing, which i grew to love in gma. 

aaaieeee! i cannot bear it! **throws self at TPTB's* feet, writhing with lust**

i took a hatchet to my resume last night in order to produce the perfect lure for this tempting creature called designTAXI. i threw my old resume format down the garbage chute and finally solved one of the niggling flaws of my resume -- how to present my extensive, overlapping freelance experience without confusing would-be employers. i finally confronted the fact that it was a flaw after the third job interview where i had been asked to mark up my resume for better reading. eep.

and... it worked! in record time no less! a mere two hours after i sent in my application, i got an email from the designTAXI editor inviting me to an interview! my heart started pounding, and a foppish smile -- the same smile that's still plastered on my face to this very minute -- sprouted and took root.

you know how you read way too much into every little detail at the beginning of a grand infatuation? well it happens with jobs, too -- especially if you've been looking for just the right one for quite some time.

when i asked the editor (i still can't figure out if it's a he or a she -- s/he has the most perplexing name!) what i should bring, this was the reply i got.

Yes, please bring along your resume and writing samples, 
plus a big smile would be nice. See you then.

swoon. don't we all love a sense of humor -- especially when we least expect one, like in an email from a prospective employer? i couldn't resist; i replied:

Will commence working on my smile. 
Thanks and looking forward to meeting you!

i'm in love with a job! help me!

---
*TPTB - the powers that be

No comments:

Post a Comment