Saturday, June 24, 2006

Endorphins!

after seven rounds of boxing, i plopped, drenched in sweat and purple in the face, on the floor to roll up my hand wraps. i looked outside and said to myself -- it's such a beautiful day!

grabe pala ang nagagawa ng endorphins no? pre-boxing, i would have spent this saturday locked up in my room lolling around in bed, munching on something, and luxuriating in the feeling of being absolutely brain dead.

ah, onga pala. i box now. i didn't want to blog about it until i felt i was really committed. baka ma-capoeira kasi ako. as you probably guessed, my silence about it means i never went back after the first session. the shame, the shame! but since i've been boxing religiously, thrice a week for a month now (well, except for the week i had an injured wrist) and since i just plunked down two grand for my very own boxing gloves and jumping rope, i figured it was safe to finally write about it.

i thought i would pass out halfway through my trial round (i literally gasped "diyos ko, ang puso ko!" much to the amusement of my trainer), but in the past few weeks i've grown to really like both boxing and my boxing gym -- red corner on panay avenue, near the office. feeling ko super sulit siya, since i get one-on-one training. i always get tickled whenever one of the trainers -- all rough-and-tumble ex-boxer types-- says something like "tara na, babanatan kita sa abs ngayon!" or "hayaan mo, papapayatin ka namin!" it actually makes me feel like there's hope for my body! haha. in fairness, the locker room attendant said to me this afternoon, "ma'am, pumapayat ka na!"

my weird, never-routine workdays have actually made it easy for me to keep to my thrice-a-week commitment. i steal away from work while waiting for my daily plug material to arrive, which takes the edge off the fact that i even have to spend so much of my day just waiting. so it looks like i'm this for the long haul, or at least until makabawi ako sa gloves ko (which is about three months based on the per-session rental cost of gloves at the gym -- gawd i'm such a cheapskate.)

september will be the ultimate test of my commitment -- hello, nightly rehearsals for acs, the launch of my newest baby, plus boxing? good luck to me! kapayatan na sana ito!

No comments:

Post a Comment