Friday, November 20, 2009

On buying art

Tonight Marlon and I went to our first art exhibit opening as potential buyers (emphasis on potential than actual buying). Since discovering the wonderful art of Yasmin Sison via Jessica Zafra's blog, I've embarked on a sort of internet scavenger hunt, unraveling a trail of paintings, artists and galleries -- clues that lead from one thing to the next until I find just what it is I'm looking for, something which I don't really know just yet.

Some clickthroughs lead to dead ends -- artists that I find too leftist or emo or simply not my type. Some have led to amazing events with surprising finds, such as a Juvenal Sanso sketch at what seems like (to my uneducated sensibilities) a bargain price. It's been a happy and fascinating path, and one that I've been traveling with Marlon by my side. I'm lucky to have a husband who loves art just as much as I do. We may not always like the same things, but he says he appreciates the difference because my taste leads him to take a second look at artists and paintings he wouldn't normally look at.

I never understood or agreed with the idea of buying art mainly as an investment. For me, you buy art to love, not to sell. And if you buy something you truly love, God forbid you have to sell it. My mom collected paintings primarily because she loved them; it broke her heart to have to sell them when business began to go bad.

A painting on your wall should bring a smile to your lips and a lightness and spaciousness to your heart, not the anxiety of "Why isn't this appreciating? When can I sell it? How much can I make off it?" For me, the only reason to buy a piece of art is because you love it, you're blown away by it, and it speaks to you; if it should ever appreciate in value over time, then it's a thrilling but unexpected bonus.

I can understand though why people take such trouble to make well-studied purchases of art; art can cost so much money, and there's so much of it around, that you want to be assured you're choosing something that is worth your hard-earned money. In that aspect, it's simply like reading movie reviews or doing research before you buy a digital camera -- an informed buy is a better buy.

Marlon and I have yet to decide on what our first purchase will be, but there are a few options. For now, I'm simply enjoying the process of discovery as it unfolds, meeting really lovely people and talented artists, and being welcomed into this beckoning new world that seems to have a soft spot for "young collectors" -- a phrase which I would like to apply to myself, but only when I'm absolutely ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment