Sunday, April 18, 2010

Girl about town

After my initial two days of sloth last week, suddenly I was all over the place!

At Robertson Quay living up to my new identity as a "lady who lunches" with K and Bianca...


Walking down to the colorful, iconic MICA Building at Clarke Quay to pay for a writing workshop organized by the National Arts Council (which I ended up not waking up for!)...


Renewing my library card and stocking up on books (Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food! Time Out Beijing! Lonely Planet San Francisco!) at the National Library...


Dashing back to Robertson Quay to judge a kiddie singing contest (!!!)...

The Alkaff Bridge at Robertson Quay, painted by our very own Pacita Abad

Semifinalists in the 4 to 6 year-old category... so cute!

Filing my taxes for the very first time at the Inland Revenue Authority in Novena (a government experience whose efficiency deserves a post in itself!)...


Skipping back to the office to attend a client presentation with one huge difference -- I get to bill the company per hour of my presence!

The poor dears seem to be cracking up without me... I keed, I keed

Heading into glass skyscraper country, dodging secretaries in cocktail dresses (nobody knows the difference between day vs. night dressing around here) and expat investment bankers...


... to visit Lilian and James' new office in Boat Quay! It's on the top floor of a shophouse, which explains the high, steeply pitched ceiling and exposed beams. Very cool. 


Hanging around for two hours (two hours! Why is it that only Pinoys are capable of being this late? Nobody I know here in Singapore has ever been that late!) at Lau Pa Sat waiting for my fellow Kapusos. 



Flor and Ian, an artist and writer, respectively, from my old department now work here, and we never get to meet up! Finally we had a reason to: the arrival of Cecil, our beloved nutty mother figure who was in town visiting her daughter, an intern at the Ritz. 


Finally winding down the week with a show at the Esplanade: Chicago! (And all that jazz...)



I couldn't take any photos of the show, so here's a picture of Marlon in this cool bamboo installation on the Esplanade grounds instead.

What a week! Busing and walking around in the scorching heat left me completely shacked... but shacked in a good way, without any pressure or stress. Despite the heat and humidity, there was an underlying sense of freedom that just gave me a really good burst of energy and powered me through the week.

This week I'm looking forward to establishing more of a routine for myself, one that includes exercise, writing (I can't completely not work!), flamenco and my domestic duties of cooking, grocery shopping and cleaning. 

Now if I could only start waking up before 10 a.m.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment