Monday, January 31, 2011

Mindful Monday: Upping the Ante

Image: Flickr User Last Zolex

I actually meditated every single day this week! Here are a few things that I noticed:

1. Since I'm new at this and easily distracted, it's easier if I face the wall. That way when I can't stand it any longer and I have to peek, all I will see is a white wall. If I peek and see something shiny or colorful ... it takes a lot longer to recover and go back to my meditation.

2. Five minutes is a really REALLY long time sometimes--like when you're 5 years old or learning to meditate. Just think of all the precious five-minute spans I waste staring into a computer screen every day... It's kind of appalling.

3. I have felt happier this week than I've felt in a long time. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what (I've been reading a lot about the magical benefits of daily meditation lately... but five minutes a day for a week hardly seems like long enough), but I've decided not to question it.

Next week, I'm meditating for eight minutes daily. My goal isn't to sit for long spans of time, but instead to notice the impact of a daily seated practice. However, it seems like five minutes is just long enough for me to get settled.

If you meditate, how long do you sit? Is your goal to sit longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment