Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review: Writing Yoga

There are two things in life that I can count on to make me feel uplifted, positive about life, and (dare I say) joyful: My yoga practice and writing about my yoga practice.

It's not surprising, then, that I devoured Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal by Bruce Black. In this gem, published earlier this year by Rodmell Press, I discovered chapter after chapter of inspiring ideas for expressing my yoga through writing.

I could also relate to Black's stories about his own yoga practice, and how writing down his experiences before and after he unrolled his mat changed the way he thought about his practice. I've had similar experiences through this blog. Writing adds a whole other contemplative level to an already very contemplative practice. I'm a firm believer that when I sit down and actually put my experiences onto paper (or computer screen as the case may be) I gain a new perspective on things. Yoga practice in no exception.

If you haven't already read through Writing Yoga, I encourage you to grab a copy and let Black be your guide as you explore what beautiful, complex emotions you can uncover through writing about your yoga practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment