Saturday, July 17, 2010

Back to school

I feel like I ought to be writing an essay called "What I did this summer." I started working in June, upon my return from San Francisco, and it felt much like going back to school after summer vacation.
I had intended April, May and June to be my "break" -- but it didn't really turn out that way. I worked through my break, and I say that with gratitude and joy. One of the things that kept me clinging to my old job was the fear of leaping into a void of nothingness... no work, no income. I was wrong and for that I could not be happier. It was nothing like when I first started out in Singapore. What a difference two years can make.

Then again, this summer was like the ones I had when I was younger. I was never really idle.  There was always Rep or tennis or Spanish or art lessons. Heck, even the summers without parent-initiated activities were jam-packed with boy-watching.

This time around, going back to school was more like transferring to a new school. Getting used to new teachers, classmates, new ways of doing things; maybe not making lifelong friends right away, but anxious to do well and be liked. Even struggling and doing well at the same time.  

But I had my summer vacation (the first I've had since leaving school almost seven years ago!) and it was a good one. And even now that the summer is over, the sunshine seems like it's here to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment