Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How to Choose a Yoga Teacher

Once again, I find myself looking for a teacher. Someone who I can get to know, who knows my practice well enough to know when I'm slacking during core work and who can look at my poses and say, "Erica, you're hyper-extending again..."

It's hard to build a relationship with a yoga teacher when the only time you can make it to a studio is Saturday morning when it's so crowded it's a miracle if you can even get close enough to the teacher to mutter a "Thanks" on your way out. And while I've been maintaining my practice through videos online lately, I know the importance of face time with a teacher who knows you well enough to give individual instruction.

Finding a yoga teacher is a lot like finding a life partner--chemistry is important. And the only real way of knowing if you have the right chemistry with a teacher is to actually experience the teachings in all their glory. One class is not enough. You have to commit to that teacher for long enough for her to know you well enough to offer adjustments specific to you. Unfortunately, some teachers don't do that no matter how well they know you... Sigh. I'm afraid it's going to take me a LOOONG time to find a teacher.

The last time I moved (which was not so long ago) I wrote this personal ad for a yoga teacher. I'm seriously considering posting it on Craigslist.

In addition I would like to add the following:

 - Must give adjustments. (Especially the one where I get traction on my spine during Down Dog.)

- Oh, and no creepy, floppy-fish-hands adjustments. Isn't that Yoga Teacher Training 101? I'm shocked by how many soft, stroking adjustments I've been getting lately...

- Must be able to see that I'm bored in his class for beginners and offer ways to help me amp it up.

- Must be able to recognize my face and know my name ... Actually, scratch that, she doesn't have to KNOW my name after a handful of classes, but it would be nice if she'd at least ASK me what it is!

That's really all. Is that too much to ask?

I need advice. How did you find "the one"?

No comments:

Post a Comment