Wednesday, June 30, 2010

5 Ways Yoga Gives You MORE Time


Lately, I've been really busy so I've been practicing yoga less... Bad idea! I need to constantly remind myself that making time for my yoga practice actually gives me MORE time to do the other things I need and want to do in life. How?

Here are 5 ways:

1. Yoga gives you more energy! On days I opt to sit on the couch and watch TV after work, my energy is zapped and I am so lazy I can barely bring myself to lift the remote. But when I do even a short 20-minute yoga session, I actually get a second wind. I can manage to do things like dishes, chase the dog, edit a story, or write a blog.

2. It raises your mental capacity. Now, I don't know if this has been scientifically proven, but I've definitely noticed after a little yoga session in an otherwise incredibly busy day I am just more mentally competent and able to produce more work. When I have writer's block I try hip openers (because someone tole me this releases creative energy, and, trust me, I need all the creative energy I can get). Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But getting away from my screen when your brain is drained definitely seems to make it function better upon my return.

3. It lowers stress levels. Running around like a stressed out chicken with its head cut off is NOT the best way to get things done. Yoga can help you remember to breathe, slow down, and do one thing at a time.

4. It helps you sleep. Last night, after I went to bed I tossed, I turned. I was hot. I was cranky. I kept thinking about things beyond my control. I kept sitting up to look at my dog thinking, "How on EARTH are you sleeping when I'm making such a ruckus?" The night before, I fell right to sleep. The difference? When I do yoga during the day, I fall right to sleep at night... And everyone knows you get more accomplished the following day when you sleep well at night.

5. It keeps you from going insane. Well, OK. I'm a little insane whether I do yoga or not. But I imagine I would be a lot less sane if I never did yoga. Insane people just aren't good at managing their time—so it seems like they have a lot less.

No comments:

Post a Comment