Thursday, October 21, 2010

Talbot & I

One of my goals when I resigned from my full-time job earlier this year was to free up more time to learn and try new things. So I felt a wonderful sense of achievement when I signed up for, and completed, a three-week basic photography workshop at Objectifs on Arab Street. I had Talbot, my new Canon 550D, and Marlon had a semi-DSLR Fujifilm Finepix generously bequeathed to us by my sister. 

The first class was pretty confusing for me as I attempted to absorb the basic rules of how things are related to each other, retain the knowledge that a bigger aperture number actually means a smaller aperture opening, train my fingers to push the right buttons and turn the right dials, and remember why you don't need a shutter speed of 400 to shoot a can of Coke. 

We headed out into the Kampong Glam area right after the first theory class to practice our newfound knowledge. These are some of my favorites from that first shoot. 


One of my very first photos, taken during lunch break. 


Objectifs is located near the quasi-hipster hotspot called Haji Lane, but also near the Mosque. I really like this area for the small, quaint feel and the many Muslim (both Malay and Turkish) eateries around.


Shawls for sale!

Coffee break!


One of the cafes in the are was really cozy and full of daybeds, which were in turn full of Caucasian backpackers.


Shisha, anyone?

That first afternoon was all about simply getting the right exposure relying entirely on manual settings. It was a bit of a struggle at first, but the span of a few hours, I realized how much fun you can miss out on by just going on Auto all the time! 

I really got how pictures could go beyond just a record of an experience to a form of communication and expression when our instructor would constantly ask, "Well, what did you want to achieve with this picture?" And how, by choosing not just your subject but what you want to highlight about that subject, you can actually say something; a statement about the world that is completely your own.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my trusty little Lumix, but Talbot and I... well, this could be the start of something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment