Friday, August 6, 2010

5 Reasons to Practice in Your Living Room

1. You get to choose your own adventure. Have you ever gone to a yoga class to find the teacher planned to focus on an intense backbend practice when all you have the energy to do is lie over a bolster? Yeah, me too. When I practice in my living room, I can do whatever I want. I like being in charge.

2. Be free from fashion rules. You don't have to worry about panty lines, falling out of your top, or other common wardrobe malfunctions.

3. Be FREE. If you need to swing around like a crazy person in Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) to release your neck, you can do it without fear of judgement... No one will think you're a crazy person (even if you are) because no one's watching. Except maybe your husband, but he probably already knows you're a crazy person.

4. Set your own schedule. You don't have to follow someone else's schedule. You can practice any time you feel like it! After years of following studio schedules, it's a liberating feeling.

5. Be your own teacher. I have been notoriously bad about practicing at home--I like to be led by others so I don't have to think--but the times I've practiced alone and followed my intuition has taught me a lot about yoga and a lot about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment