Thursday, March 11, 2010

5 Steps to Instant Happiness

I know, I know. Yoga is a path and finding contentment takes years of discipline and practice. That's fine. But, sometimes, you just need to remind yourself that the world is a beautiful, wonderful, fun place. Whenever I'm feeling whiny, there are a few things I know will help me realize how blessed I am and make me feel instantly happy.

1. Pick a flower. A daisy or a buttercup will do just fine. Tear off the petals one by one, saying to yourself, "He loves me, he loves me not." If you get to the last petal and it's a negative... tear that petal into two so you can end on a good note.


2. Eat a cupcake. Slowly. Get frosting on your nose, and then lick it off.


3. Remember something that gave you the giggles as a child. If you can't think of anything, get some inspiration from a wee one in your life. For example, I recently called my niece to wish her a happy 4th birthday. The conversation went like this. Me: "Happy Birthday!" Niece: "Happy Birthday to you, too! And Happy Buttcrack!" (It was a proud moment for me.)


4. Practice a pose that makes you feel strong, playful, and free. That's right. The skinny, awkward girl who couldn't overhand serve a volleyball to save her life when she was 15, can now do some pretty incredible arm balances. And I'm filled with joy every time!

5. Watch a puppy play. If you don't have a puppy, go to a dog park and just watch for a while. (Put a few treats in your pocket if you need a little extra love.) Or just watch my sweet Penny chase her tail when she was 4 months.







What makes you feel joy instantly?

No comments:

Post a Comment