Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hostess with the mostest

Marlon and I had one of our favorite couple friends - Susie and Tinus, who just moved back to Lah-Lah Land from New York -- over for brunch today. And it got me thinking about entertaining and hosting social occasions at home.

Brunch guests Susie and Mr. T at our table, making mimosas

Part of being a young wife is the newness, fun and confusion of being a hostess. (Not a hoh-stess, but a hoe-stess. Just so we're clear.) Marlon and I have guests over for lunch or dinner once in a while, and while Marlon does more of the prep work than any husband I've ever come across, these social occasions are always supposed to be the wife's thing -- making me, for the first time in my life, a hostess.

I love planning the menu and having friends over, but I have yet to get the hang of this entertaining thing. As a (relatively still) newlywed couple, we always find out just how little we have in the way of proper cutlery and china when it's time to have people over. 

Our very first dinner guests, David and Phyllis, brought us a bottle of wine when we invited them over one weekend... only for us to discover that we didn't even have a corkscrew. Marlon had to escape to the kitchen (which is open anyway) and stab at the cork with a bread knife, and we had to fish bits of out of our wineglasses all evening. David presented Marlon with a corkscrew the following Monday. 

Influenced by the Singaporean habit of stocking up on duty-free wine and liquor with every trip to Changi, we have a bottle each of champagne, dessert wine, Baileys and Absolut Tropical in the house... but only one set of all-purpose wine glasses from Ikea. I recently took advantage of a sale at Tang's to buy serving plates, serving bowls and serving utensils because I realized we couldn't go any longer plunking the metal pot of the rice cooker down on a trivet on the table, or serving couscous salad out of a scratched-up melamine bowl that Marlon used and abused through his bachelor days. Then when we bought pandesal from Lucky Plaza, I realized we didn't even have a bread basket to keep the pandesal warm throughout brunch. It seems to never end!

And that's just lunch or dinner for four people. When Marlon's boss and his wife decided to bring their little daughter over for dinner, Marlon had to eat off a white plastic plate. Anything far beyond that magic number means paper plates for all -- since we only have four pieces of everything.

Then there's the matter of place settings. For brunch this morning, I had glasses and wine glasses on the table and had no idea if I should keep the tea cups for hot chocolate off the table or just plunk them in there. It's almost enough to make a girl wish she had gone to finishing school. 

Tablea reveals itself to Susie... amidst our new serving ware from Tang's!

Thankfully, most of the wives who come over are young wives like me. I haven't seen anyone raise an eyebrow or make furtive notes on a checklist just yet. And luckily, our friends are pretty chill (and rather nutty). I spend a lot of time rushing back and forth before people come over, but once we're all seated I wonder if I should even be wondering about how to be a proper hostess. And the champagne starts pouring, our friends start digging in and raving about Marlon's latest culinary success, and we're all laughing, there seems to be so much more to life than doing things properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment