Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Detox Don'ts


This time last year, I decided to try a detox. Why? I don't really know. I guess it seemed like it is so popular in the yoga community, I thought I'd be missing out on something if I didn't do it. I think I was secretly hoping I'd lose 10 pounds, my skin would become magically flawless, and I'd never crave sugar again! Sadly, none of these things happened. (Shocking, I know.) Instead I turned into a ravenous bitch. I apologize for the profanity, but there's no other way to describe it. Even though I had gradually cut out things like caffeine, sugar, and dairy products until I was down to eating only fresh fruits and veggies for a few days, it was a complete shock to my system. When I got tired of the fruits and vegetables available to me I just stopped eating.

You see, here's my problem with detox diets. Everyone seems to talk about these in the Spring, before watermelon and peaches are in season. Last year, all I wanted was watermelon and peaches and I would just about have driven to Mexico to get some, but I just didn't have the energy.

I've only survived only one detox, and may never do another because, well,  I like food ... However, here's my advice for detoxing for whatever that's worth.

-- Don't have unreasonable expectations. Detoxing might give some people limitless energy and perfect skin, but I certainly didn't experience that. I'm sure it affects different people in different ways.

-- Don't detox in Spring just because that's when the workshops are offered at your studio. Do it when your favorite fruits are in season.

-- Don't tell your non-yoga relatives or friends who live in the South. They'll think you're crazy and/or suffering from an eating disorder.

Are you cleansing this season? Do you have any advice to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment